Welcome to New Muslims eLearning site. It is for new Muslim converts who would like to learn their new religion in an easy and systematic way. Lessons here are organized under levels. So first you go to lesson 1 under level 1. Study it and then take its quiz. When you pass it move on to lesson 2 and so on. Best wishes.
It is highly recommended that you register so that your quiz grades and progress will be saved. So first register here, then start with lesson 1 under level 1 and from there move on to the next lesson. Study at your ease. Whenever you come back to this site, just click on the "Take me where I reached" button (available only for registered users).
Jump to article tools
Signs of the Day of Judgment (part 2 of 2): The Major Signs
Description: A short description of each of the major signs that will happen shortly before the Day of Judgement.
By Aisha Stacey (© 2013 NewMuslims.com)
Published on 08 Apr 2013 - Last modified on 12 Dec 2016Printed: 130 - Emailed: 1 - Viewed: 6696 (daily average: 5)
· None but Allah knows when these signs will occur, however we do know what to look for and should use these signs as proof that Allah is All-Knowing and in control of all affairs.
· Fitnah - an Arabic word that does not translate easily into English. It means a time of trial or tribulation, particularly a situation that prevents one from worshipping God correctly, or causes acts of disobedience or disbelief.
· Sunnah - The word Sunnah has several meanings depending on the area of study however the meaning is generally accepted to be, whatever was reported that the Prophet said, did, or approved.
· Hadith - (plural – ahadith) is a piece of information or a story. In Islam it is a narrative record of the sayings and actions of Prophet Muhammad and his companions.
· Iqamah – This word refers to the second call to prayer that is given immediately before the prayer begins.
The major signs of the Day of Judgment are those events that will occur shortly before the Day begins. They are extraordinary and supernatural events and do not occur repeatedly. These events are the precursor to the actual blowing of the trumpet when life as we know it will cease to exist.
The appearance of the Mahdi
A man from the descendants of the Prophet Mohammad will appear and the religion of Allah will prevail. The Mahdi will take control of the land (or the earth) and it will be filled with justice, wrongdoing and oppression will no longer exist. It is said in an authentic hadith that the Mahdi’s name will be like the name of Prophet Muhammad and his father’s name will be like the Prophet’s father’s name. He will be a descendant of Fatimah, the daughter of Prophet Muhammad and he will appear in the East.
The Dajjaal (The Antichrist)
This is a man from the sons of Adam. His features are mentioned in authentic ahadith; he will have a ruddy complexion and curly hair, and will be one-eyed, with his right eye looking like a floating grape. Between his eyes will be written the letters “kaaf-fa-ra“ (in unjoined letters) or “kaafir” (disbeliever), which every Muslim, literate or illiterate, will be able to read. He will also be the last of his line, sterile with no children.
The fitnah (trial, tribulation) of the Dajjaal will be the greatest fitnah ever because of the power Allah will permit him to have. He will work great miracles both amazing and confusing. He will have a paradise and a hell, but his paradise will in fact be a hell, and vice versa. He will have rivers of water and mountains of bread. He will command the sky to rain, and it will rain, and he will command the earth to bring forth its produce, and it will bring forth its produce.
The destruction of the Dajjaal will come at the hands of Isa ibn Maryam (Jesus), “The Dajjaal will emerge among my nation… and Allah will send Isa ibn Maryam… and he will pursue him and destroy him.”
The descent of Isa ibn Maryam (Jesus, son of Mary)
After the Dajjaal has appeared and caused fitnah throughout the land, Allah will send Isa ibn Maryam, who will descend to the earth at a white minaret in the East of Damascus, Syria, resting his hands on the wings of two angels. He will descend at the time when the iqamah for prayer is being given, and he will pray behind the leader of that group. Quran commentator Ibn Kathir sums up several ahadith about the descent of Isa ibn Maryam when he says “Isa ibn Maryam will descend before the Day of Judgement as a just leader and fair ruler”.
Yajooj and Majooj (Gog and Magog)
Yajooj and Majooj are human beings, descended from Adam and Hawa (Eve). According to the descriptions in the sunnah they appear to belong to the Turkic-Mongol race, with small eyes, small, flat noses and wide faces. Their appearance at the end of time is one of the signs of the Hour, “Until, when Yajooj and Majooj are let loose (from their barrier), and they swiftly swarm from every mound. And the true promise (Day of Resurrection) shall draw near (to fulfilment)…” (Quran 21: 96 & 97)
The swallowing up of the earth
This means that a place is swallowed up in the earth and disappears into it, as is described in the Quran, “So We caused the earth to swallow him and his dwelling place…” (Quran 28:81) Three of these events will occur.
It is said that three huge landslides or earthquakes (tsunami) will happen, one in the East, one in the West and one in the Arabian Peninsula.
Another of the major signs of the Hour will be the appearance of “the smoke”. “Then watch for the Day when the sky will bring a visible smoke. Covering the people; this is a painful torment.” (Quran 44:10 & 11)
The smoke will affect both the believers and the disbelievers. The believers will be affected as if suffering from a cold while the disbelievers will be rendered unconscious.
The rising of the sun from the West
“The Hour will not begin until the sun rises from the West, and when it rises and the people see it, they will all believe, but that will be when it will do a person no good to believe, if he believed not before, nor earned good (by performing deeds of righteousness) through his faith.”
The rising of the sun from the West will create a great dilemma upon the earth. It appears to be totally against the nature of the universe and thus demonstrates the great power of Allah. At this time the door to repentance will be closed. Belief and repentance before this phenomenon is essential.
The appearance of the Beast of the Earth
“There are three things which, once they happen, it will do a person no good to believe, if he believed not before, nor earned good (by performing deeds of righteousness) through his faith: the rising of the sun from the West, the Dajjaal, and the Beast of the Earth.”
There are many opinions about where the beast will come from and what appearance it will take. However all are agreed that the beast is a huge creature that will come out from the Earth, is not human. It will distinguish the people and declare who is a believer and who is a disbeliever.
The fire which will gather the people together
The last sign in our discussion is the great fire which will appear from the direction of Yemen. It will be an enormous fire that will drive the people to the place of assembly. The trumpet will be blown and the great Day from which there is no escape will begin.
Also you may ask thru the live chat available here.
- Voluntary Prayers
- Treatment of Animals
- Lying, Backbiting and Slander (part 1 of 2)
- Lying, Backbiting and Slander (part 2 of 2)
- Increasing Faith (part 1 of 2): Why faith is not always at a steady level
- Increasing Faith (part 2 of 2): Increase your faith (Imaan) and earn rewards
- Voluntary Fasts
- Signs of the Day of Judgment (part 1 of 2): The Minor Signs
- Signs of the Day of Judgment (part 2 of 2): The Major Signs
- Adultery, Fornication, & Pornography (part 1 of 2)
- Adultery, Fornication, & Pornography (part 2 of 2)
- Islamic Guidelines for Gender Interactions (part 1 of 2)
- Islamic Guidelines for Gender Interactions (part 2 of 2)
- Introduction to Shariah (part 1 of 2)
- Introduction to Shariah (part 2 of 2)
- Acts that Correspond to Human Nature (Sunan ul-Fitrah)
- Eid ul-Adha from A to Z (part 1 of 3)
- Eid ul-Adha from A to Z (part 2 of 3)
- Eid ul-Adha from A to Z (part 3 of 3)
- Innovation in Islam (part 1 of 2): Two Types of Bidah
- Innovation in Islam (part 2 of 2): Is this a bidah?
- Ramadan: The Last Ten Nights
- Umrah (part 1 of 2)
- Umrah (part 2 of 2)
- Concept of Sins in Islam (part 1 of 3)
- Concept of Sins in Islam (part 2 of 3)
- Concept of Sins in Islam (part 3 of 3)